Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm going to rag tomorrow

I hate doing last minute essays a lot! Stress! At this point of time 10.47pm GMT, this is how my room looks like. Macam kena landa tsunami!Still doing my MedSoc essay. 30% to go!!! Dateline tomorrow morning!

Tomorrow I'm going to do RAG (Raise and Give). I just need to collect £500 to enable this donation go to Kenya Orphanage Project (KOP), and this enables me to do volunteer work there during summer for 2 weeks! I already have my £650 sorted out - this is the other 'personal' expenses estimated for that trip. Yeah it's £1150 (close to RM8000) in total! This is probabbly my one and only most expensive trip ever made. Even my ticket to go home last year was just £800 (although my recent enquiry predicts that I might just be able to break the record). But I guess this would probabbly a rare and wonderful opportunity to do it together with a group of friends. I hope it will be an invaluable experience that I want to share with all of you.

About raising £500, it's not as hard you think it is. When I did RAG last year, for just 4 hours of effort, I managed to collect £95. Even that I adopted a quite wrong strategy in picking the which tube lines I shoud take. When I first did it, like everyone else, I was skeptical about even raising £30. I was scared too, since I'm not the kind of person who actually is brave to ask for money from strangers. But the tube offers a lot of surprises. People can be more generous and supportive than you think they are to this kind of effort. And that what keeps you persistent (and brave enough) wade through all challenges ahead. Some of us managed to even get £700-800 a day! I know one person collected £5500 in total throughout the RAG week!

The only thing that worries pisses me is how unsupportive sometimes the TFL (i.e the tube people). Why can't they just allow us to do it for one week? It's only one week! TFL doesn't quite like RAG, so some of the unfortunate us got fined, warned. Even more ridiculous, they are even thinking of bringing us to court! For what?!?? For trying to do a good cause for humanity?
Not like we beg or force people to donate. We just... ask.

Guess what, TFL...many universities in London are doing this, every year. How will you stop us? If so, why not bring all these thoughtful, human institutions to court too?

Meawhile, more TFL officers would probabbly be lurking around the tube station this week...they all look the same


No comments: