Monday, March 24, 2008

Day 2 - Tours

I woke up and it snowed heavily right out of my window! This was my first-ever proper snow experience (London's snow is pathetic compared to this). I was very happy ... until I went out to the city centre - very, very cold and wet. I forgot about the latter; snow is frozen raindrops afterall.

Anyway, I followed went on a four-hour tour visiting filming locations 'Sound of Music' (I'm impressed how such movie can make this place famous worldwide). Some were in the city, but many were in the countryside. Not all shootings were done in those places, as Hollywood did artificial copies of the locations. The original places were very, very beautiful indeed. It already stopped snowing and the sun came out producing gorgeous views! Mountains and house roofs were blanketed in snow. It's very serene... .

I also tried out Austrian's apple struddle. Yummylicious!



In the afternoon my tour continued. This time we're on a trip to Germany to the Bavarian mountains and its mountain salt mine. The mountainous view was very pretty!!!! And on top of that is where the Hitler's "Eagles' Nest" rest - an outpost for the Nazis. Must had involved many lives during its construction.


After descending the mountain (using a minivan), we went to the salt mine where salt deposit, which is concealed within the rocky mountains, is obtained for daily domestic use. This industry started since 19th century and in those days, salt=money. We get to wear the miner's uniform before entering the mine. That was a very educational tour and it's amazing how we actually went into the mountain to see the passage of the salt mine. We even took a boat to cross a lake inside the mountain! Not forgetting to mention, we also slid down to get into the lower level of the mine!


No comments: